Thursday, September 02, 2004

I feel so sorry for his children...

So I infilitrated the Party for the President. And what amused me most? I wasn't the only one. I ran into other women who were giggling as they left--they even took their picture with Keyes. I don't think I could have gotten that close to him without some form of profanity leaving my mouth. Unfortunately, I was late and missed the opportunity for mingling, but I arrived for the good parts. I walked into to hear him say that this election is about "What would God want?" and "What would Jesus do?" And then launched into the same lies about abortion as usual. (So, I'm not repeating it again.) Then, the anti-gay speech. He re-stated his defense of marriage as being because "sex is procreational, not recreational." (The applause was slightly less on that...and even prompted a few snickers around me.) He then rambled about the media, of course. Then, he said that he was proud of the Republican platform and said that his rationale for opposing gay marriage is the best one. He said "there are other reasons, but it's the best one." Then, he called out Dick Cheney. He said that if it were his daughter that was a lesbian, he would not say that he supported the platform, and then make an exception for his daughter. Rather, he said, he would rather sacrifice his relationship with his daughter, than make an exception for her that will lead to the destruction of this country. He then said a bunch more of the same...but concluded with his thoughts that he hopes that this race ends up being about two things: saving babies and saving the family. And then, "What would God Want? What would Jesus do?" And something about "Go forth and vote your conscience." And so, I will, Alan Keyes. I won't pretend to speak for God like you do, but I will say this: my conscience tells me to vote for Barack Obama.