Monday, September 27, 2004

Now for even worse name-calling...

I've never been one who was good at word play, so I'm glad Eric Zorn figured out this nefarious chant by Keyes and his crowd.
Senior writer Doug Wilson's story in today's Quincy Herald-Whig about Illinois Republican U.S. Senate candidate Alan Keyes' weekend appearances in and around Quincy contains this eye-opening passage:
Keyes later led the crowd in a series of chants where they answered his questions with the refrain "Obama been lyin'."
Hmmm. Obama been lyin'. Obama been lyin'. What does that sound like to you? I called Wilson, who listened to this chanting first hand: "Are they going for an Obama been lyin' / Osama bin Laden thing?" I asked. "I'm certain that's what they're doing," he said. "They're trying to equate (Obama) to a really, really bad man."
Utterly despicable. Let's hope that the call to the Keyes campaign by the Trib folks results in a rapid apology.