Thursday, September 30, 2004

So I guess I'll weigh in...

I wrote this two days ago, but I'll finally post it, especially in light of the comments yesterday (or whenever (little confused about the days of the week, since I've been at work for about 3 days straight--seriously)), namely this from CBS2, via Modern Vertebrate, via Chillinois:
Asked Wednesday if he would support a family member who was gay and wanted to get married, Keyes responded: ``I couldn't.'' ``You're asking me a personal question, right, in terms of what I'd say to a family member. And that has to be governed by my personal conscience, and my personal conscience is shaped by my faith, and my faith is very clear: That homosexual relationships are sinful and wrong, and I will not not facilitate my children, whom I love, in going down a path that, according to my faith, leads to a kind of death that's worse than physical death,'' Keyes said.
And my original comments: So, here's my thoughts on the lesbian daughter rumor/news/whatever it is. I don't think it matters. Keyes has told us that it doesn't matter if it's his own daughter. So, if doesn't really matter if she is. Chillinois reminded us long ago some people get "tripped up" by the personalizing of issues, as Dan Quayle was with the abortion question. But Keyes isn't one of them, remember this quote from his party of the President:
Now, I want to tell you. If my daughter or anybody else engages in behavior that put them under that descriptive label, I will not consent to lie about it, and I will not tell the American people that I support a plank that requires this logic and then exempt my daughter from the logic that it requires. It may be hard. It may require sacrifice for me to stand before you and make it clear that my selfish desire to maintain good relations with my children will never be the basis for a sacrifice of the best interests of our whole society--indeed, of our whole civilization.
He doesn't care. It wouldn't (or doesn't) change his mind if his daughter was (or is) a lesbian, so I don't think it should matter to us either. Finally, as for the "out" status. I think it's important to remember that there are different levels of "out." I know a number of people who might be out to close friends, some family, but not work. I know we think the Internet is truly "out" but I'm not sure that's true. The Internet has offered a safe haven to many people struggling with coming to terms with their sexuality for years. Let's try not to upset that too much. That's it from me.