Thursday, September 02, 2004

Zorn's response

Eric Zorn noted my comments in which I wished Keyes kicked off the ballot in his blog this morning:
I delight in this sort of prudish fulmination, but Truth Girl accuses me and other journalists and bloggers of being
selfish to want to keep (Keyes)around for entertainment value when it's real women who have abortions and deal with the lifelong ramifications. They, too, are hurt when Keyes calls them terrorists. It's real men and women who struggle with coming out to their families, caring for life partners without benefits and facing discrimination. They, too, are hurt when Keyes calls them Nazis or selfish hedonists.
In the short term, maybe so. But I see long-term benefits in the public's exposure to the cartoonish quality of this ideology and its harsh implications.
Although I clearly have thoughts in response, my paying job is requiring my attendance for the next 12-18 hours or so, so you will have to wait a bit for my reply.