Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Selfish Hedonists

Just when I thought I couldn't get any more fired up (see here and here), the Archpundit finds this:
After Keyes told the hosts that homosexuality is "selfish hedonism," he was asked whether Mary Cheney is a "selfish hedonist." "Of course she is," Keyes replied. "That goes by definition. Of course she is."
Given that the basis for Keyes' position is that sex is about procreation and not pleasure, and that sex belongs only in marriage (for instance, see his speech Sunday), it seems to me that all of the following are all selfish hedonists:
married couples using contraception single people having hetrosexual sex single and married people having homosexual sex married people who had sex before they were married anyone who has ever engaged in self gratification and possibly even, anyone who has ever enjoyed sex
And I'm sure I missed a few. So, to in no way belittle the particularized hatred and vitriole that gays and lesbians have suffered from Alan Keyes, but the "selfish hedonists" tent looks to be a big tent. And far more welcoming than the Republicans "big tent." Update: I'm watching the comments on this one. I know I missed a few people on the list above, but I'm not looking for additions.